The Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) agenda, as we have shown here on numerous occasions, promotes unyielding opposition to any legislation that smacks of benefits to workers, the unemployed and the poor.
Among other things, ALEC, led by the Koch brothers, pushes legislation that:
- Opposes an extension of unemployment benefits;
- Undermines the rights of injured workers to hold their corporate employers accountable
- Promotes for-profit schools at the expense of public education;
- Opposes consumers’ right to know the origin of food we consume;
- Opposes an increase in the federal minimum wage;
- Limits patient rights and undermines safety net programs including, of all things a call to end licensing and certification of doctors and other medical professionals.
While the effort to end licensing and certification of medical professionals might play into the hands of State Sen. Elbert Guillory (R-D-R-Opelousas) and his affinity for witch doctors, such a move probably would not work to…
View original post 1,024 more words